Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nursery on a Budget!

So the baby was coming, and the nursery was still being used as our work out room!  What was a frugal Mum – to – be like myself to do?  The costs of being a new Mum and getting all of the “essential” items were piling up in my head (and the total was not balancing out well with my bank account)!  So I began to bargain hunt. 
Now you must understand that if there is a bargain to be had, I will have it!  It is a gift that my own Mum passed down to me… and that has saved us a lot of money on many occasions.  I am frugal and proud of it!  
I started with bedding set, as it would determine our theme.  Once I got looking around I was shocked at the cost of such tiny items!  So I turned to E Bay… and voila!  I found the perfect set for our son’s room at a fraction of the cost other stores were asking, and it was brand new!  We purchased all the bedding, 2 lamp shades, wall decor (excluding the border – I can’t stand doing wall paper!) for just $49.99 plus $15.00 shipping!  I was ecstatic... but there was still the anticipation of waiting to see if the delivered product actually looked like the photo (I posted the photo below). 
if you are interested take a look the ebay store here: http://stores.ebay.com/Childrens-Mart

The delivered product was exactly what we were expecting! I could not have been happier!
Next we decided to pick a neutral wall color, as I did not want to have to re-paint the room if we had another child that was a girl!  I picked the green out of the bedding set, and my husband went to town on the walls (shucks darn, couldn’t help because I was pregnant! Ha).  Paint is never very expensive, and gives such a fresh feeling to a re – purposed room!
Good Bye old work out room...

Ahhh, fresh paint makes such a differance!

While the paint was being applied, I was already on the hunt for furniture… by far the most expensive part of any room reno, and not something we could afford.  I played around with the options of buying used (off of kijiji or craigs list)… but who needs used when Zellers was having a 50 – 75% off sale for their “baby days”?!  We got a Crib, change table and dresser for $120.00 (it was 75% off the sale price)!  I was all over this deal!  I drove to 4 Zeller’s stores until I found the color I wanted (dark wood, again gender neutral and toned down the bright walls).  This furniture is awesome, not to big or clumsy and the price was irresistible (especially when I had $50.00 in gift cards I had saved)! 
Next was the trip to ikea for shelves… the shelves we purchased were $19.99… and a perfect color to match the other furniture.  We also grabbed 2 $5.00 light stands for the lamp shades and a $10.00 set of window coverings (which were to long, so I hemmed them and used the extra fabric to make some extra accent pillows for the room and some curtain tie backs!)… all in all I could handle those prices! 
Our gliding ottoman was a gift from my parents… so we were set!   

Time to assemble all the furnature...


Over the course of 2 months, we had a FABULOUS nursery and hadn’t spent 1/3 of what I had thought it would cost us to do.  Now, in these photos we had yet to put up any wall décor, so I will have to take some new photos of the walls soon and post them for you to see!



If you have any other good, money saving décor stories please pass them along!  I still have some spaces in the house that could use some sprucing up!

Cheers,
Bek

No comments:

Post a Comment